Monday, July 29, 2013

Meatless Monday: Eggplant Mushroom Stir Fry

We started Meatless Mondays nearly 2 years ago when it was brought up on "The Chew".  Made sense to do it as a way to increase our veggie intake for the usual health reasons.  Its worked.  My cholesterol has dropped over 25 points to a solid 175, my BP sits comfortably at 120/79...all because of eliminating meat proteins from my diet one day a week. Don't worry though...I won't go all radical vegan on you...still love my Pork and Beef, just in moderation.

All the ingredients here are commonly found this time of year quite easily, especially if you have a good Asian Market, or section at your grocery store.

I used Chinese eggplant as they were pretty prolific at the store today, if you can't find it no worries, a small regular eggplant will work just fine.

I used the tiny beech mushrooms as they were fresh and available today.  More common shitake thinly sliced would have worked just as well.  Its about flavor profiles and texture.

AND I cheated, I don't make my stir fry sauce from scratch as I've never found one that wasn't too salty. I use a bottled stir fry sauce from Kikkoman that isn't too salty and is a nice balance of sweet to the soy in it.

To round out the meal I usually have a salad, egg rolls or vegetarian bao with a dipping sauce.

Eggplant Mushroom Stir Fry


  • 1 small onion rough chopped
  • 1 Chinese eggplant sliced
  • 8 oz beech mushroom
  • 3 T Kikkoman Stir Fry Sauce
  • 4 oz udon noodles


Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Heat Wok (or large fry pan) over medium-high heat.  Add a couple of tablespoons vegetable oil and heat until shimmering.  Add chopped onion and sliced eggplant.  Cook 4-5 minutes stirring often.  Add mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes longer stirring often.  Add cooked noodles and Stir Fry Sauce.  Toss to coat. Serve hot.  With or without chopsticks.  Kidding.


No comments: