Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sourdough Dried Fruit Scones

I like to eat.  I like to bake, what a great combo.  Scones are a take it or leave it for many.  For me I like them with coffee in the morning.   I like them with something in them.

This batch is based on a couple of recipes for sourdough biscuits and a scone.  If you look closely there is next to no fat involved so these are actually very healthy compared to a scone made with cream or whole milk.  An added bonus for anyone who has to watch fat intake.

Sourdough Dried Fruit Scones
  • 1 c sourdough starter
  • 1/2 c milk (I use non-fat)
  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 2 T sugar
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 c dried blueberry
  • 1/4 c dried cranberry
  • 1/4 c dried raspberry
  • milk + scant 2 t turbanado sugar
Combine first 7 ingredients.  Mix with dough hook until just coming together as a ball.  Add dried fruit knead 1 minute until ball forms.  This is a sticky dough.

Scoop out onto well floured board.  Pat dough into roughly a 6 X 8 square.  Cut in half widthwise.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Cut each resulting rectangle on a diagonal.  Place on silpat or parchment paper.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Let rest 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Bake 30-35 minutes.

Enough of the blogging for one day, it is time to have another of those babies.  Can't wait for the morning breakfast to get another one in me either!

2 comments:

Sarah R said...

This is awesome - a practically fat free scone?? I can't wait to try this out (and soon - the starter is beginning to wane on me!). Thanks!

Sarah R said...

I just made these yesterday (I did them like hot cross buns, for Easter) and they are FANTASTIC! Thanks for the great recipe.