Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mixed Berry Cobbler

Everyone has their favorite dessert type. Mine is fruit pies, cobblers and crisps. There is something special about that warm syrupy fruit with a pastry...topped with iced cream or whipped cream that just ends the day perfectly.

For me I do not have a "pastry hand". I can't do pie dough to save my freaking life. Many a dough tossed before those premade crusts showed up on the market.

My all time favorite still is a Cobbler I learned to make in High School. Never failed me but there are a couple of tricks to it. The key is timing...depending on the fruit and its moisture content your baking time can vary widely. With really moist fruit it has taken me nearly 30 minutes longer than the "recommended time" to get the dough portion to set. Trust me, when done right it is a rich caramelly chewy and crunchy topping perfect foil to the warm soft fruit. Worth the frustration until you nail it. I'll probably toss of other variations with other fruit as time goes so you get the idea on how versatile this really is.

Mixed Berry Cobbler
  • 2 12 oz frozen mixed berry
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1 T corn starch
  • 1 C all purpose flour
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 egg - beaten
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1 stick butter melted.

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly toss fruit sugar and corn starch. Put into 8X8 glass baking pan.

Add sugar, flour, salt and baking powder to mixing bowl. Toss lightly to distribute. Add whisk attachment to mixer and set at medium speed. Slowly pour in the egg mixture. Mix about 3 - 5 minutes until the dough resembles coarse sand.

Sprinkle the dough mixture evenly over the berry mixture. Pour melted butter evenly over the dough mix.

Bake 60-75 minutes. It could be longer depending on the wetness of the berry mixture. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

It is entertaining to watch the whisk spin in the bowl...

Perfect example of the dough mixture at the right texture.

No comments: