Saturday, January 12, 2008

Salmon Steak over Fried Mashed Potato


Some days I like to go fast and this is about as easy as it gets. I keep the Costco frozen Salmon steaks on hand and a variety of premade marinades or the stuff to do them from scratch.


For the salmon tonight I grabbed the trusty bottle of Lawry Mesquite Marinade with Lime. I put about 2 T on the bottom of an 8X8 pan. I put in 4 of the thawed salmon steaks into the pan, spread about 1T marinade over each filet and then covered the dish with plastic wrap for about 30 minutes.


When it came time to cook I was totally lazy and went for the oven roast method. I sprinkled with McCormick Grillmate Montreal Seasoning. Preheated the oven to 375, convection roast and put it in the oven for 20 minutes. (Thickest portion of a fillet should flake easy and be cooked through). Pulled pan from oven and let it rest and carryover cook about 5 minutes.


The hardest part of the meal was the potatoes and even that wasn't a challenge. I took small red potatoes and quarted them (skin on), about 4 cups worth. I put them in a microwave safe bowl and zapped them on high for about 6 minutes. Then I let them sit in bowl, plastic wrap still on tight and let them steam on their own for about 10 minutes.


When potatoes were done I removed the plastic wrap. I seasoned with sea salt, pepper and 1t onion powder and gave them a quick rough mash with the classic wire potato masher. Set aside and in a nonstick frypan with lid fry up 1 strip of good thick cut bacon. Fry bacon until crisp. Crumble the bacon into the potatoes, fold in and add the mixture to the fry pan and hot drippings. Lightly press potato into an 8 inch or so square shape in the pan. Cut up about 2T butter and put on top of potatoes. Fry for about 5 minutes over medium high heat. Flip, add 2T more butter if needed if the potatoes look dry. Cover and cook another 5 minutes.


For plating divide potatos into 4 square portions. Top each portion with a piece of salmon. Round off the plate with a salad. I used the Fresh & Easy Baby Rocket mix with the Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing.
There you go a good looking dinner with no effort that tastes better than the effort put into it.

No comments: