Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Easy Mac n Cheese

Somethings can't be improved upon. Velveeta is it in my book. Not an artisan cheese, but one crafted with love and chemistry by Kraft. Who cares it's tasty and the center of many a comfort food back in the Midwest where I grew up.

Among the favorites we had growing up was Mac N Cheese. None of that fussy grating cheddar and making white sauce then baking the beast. Velveeta had it on the table in no time and was a staple growing up. Round it out with Zup's Smoked Polish Sausage and life is good. (I order the latter every couple of years when my horde smuggled to CA by my Mom runs out).

Anyway for the recipe, and this is easier than it looks.

Fran's Mac N Cheese
  • 1 lb macaroni
  • 1 lb Velveeta - cubed
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 c milk
  • 1/4 t pepper

Cook macaroni according to package directions in well salted water, drain. Add 1/4c milk and butter to pan, heat on low and stir until butter is melted. Add hot macaroni. Add Velveeta and stir until melted. Add the additional 1/4 c milk to get to desired consistency.


Gads...one final note while pulling the link for Zups I noted that they now have a weather icon with real time info....it's almost midnight there and MINUS freaking 24 below zero. I honestly don't know how my parents and grandparents lived there.

No comments: