Sunday, April 18, 2010

Plus perfect Lemonade


The secret which I'm about to give up is elementary my dear Watson. Everyone knows the zest contains oils that are so flavorful only a tiny bit will flavor an entire cake. I got to thinking and figured that since I make a simple syrup for lemonade I could take it over the top in terms of lemony flavor by adding zest to the syrup and let it steep. I was right, more perfect than perfect lemonade, PLUPERFECT to be precise.

Several years ago I planted a lemon tree and after debating and discussing with the local garden center I settled on the Myer Lemon as it is lemonier and sweeter than say the standard supermarket variety, usually a Eureka. I'm glad that I opted for the Myer as it has lived up to its reputation in the garden centers as the lemoniest of the lemons.

Plus perfect Lemonade
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 c water
  • 10 lemons
  • 2 c ice cubes
  • additional cold water

Using vegetable peeler peel the zest off of 2 lemons. Place in heavy sauce pan with sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer stirring until sugar is dissolved. Turn off and cover. Let steep 10 minutes.

Juice the lemons, including the 2 you zested (should yield about 1 1/4-1 1/2c juice). Take a 2 quart pitcher and add the ice and juice. Strain the lemon zest from the syrup and add to pitcher. Add enough water to make 2 quarts of lemonade. Stir and chill until ready to serve.

No comments: