Sunday, February 18, 2024

Mussels in Beer & Cream

 


My family and I love mussels.  Problem I run into here is that the Gulf doesn't produce them in the quantity and frequency that I was accustomed to in the SoCal.  Fortunately the local H*E?*B stocks fresh frozen 1 pound bags of this delectable treat so we can enjoy them year round.

I've got a really good Seafood Stew recipe I know by heart and toss in mussels instead of clams from time to time. All is good but every now and them I just want a mussel dish that celebrates just them.  I've searched around and adapted a couple to suit my family.  They like it and I hope you do too.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb frozen mussel meat - thawed
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 minced red onion
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • 1 12 oz can of beer (light lager is fine, no IPA)
  • 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 C half and half
  • 1/2 c chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
  • 1/4 c chopped cilantro
Method:
Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.  Add minced onion and cook 3-4 minutes until translucent.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.

Pour in beer and can tomatoes with liquid.  Bring to boil and simmer 7-9 minutes until reduced slightly.

Add thawed mussels and half & half.  Simmer 2-3 minutes until mussels are warmed through and sauce is slightly thickened.  Stir in parsley and cilantro.

Serve with sauce in a large bowl, crusty bread for sopping up the sauce and a nice chilled unoaked chardonnay like Pear Valley Chardonnay.



No comments: