Thursday, June 12, 2014

Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream

Back in the day the Oreo ice cream came in two flavors, vanilla and the chocolate that I adored.  Soon it was only vanilla in the stores and I was lost.  Floating in foodie limbo waiting its return.  Then I slapped myself awake and remembered I could make my own version.

So I set out to do just that.  I'm a big fan of dark chocolate over milk.  I used Hershey's Dark cocoa powder instead of the usual unsweetened cocoa powder.  The results were out right awesome.  This recipe is a keeper...and will have to be made often as everyone loves it around here.

I also toss in some real unsweetened chocolate just to ad some oooomph to the already chocolately goodness going on here.  I used a Valrhona 77% dark baking chocolate for max flavor and texture in the final product but even a 65-70% would be fine....I used what I had on hand.

This recipe is based on the capacity of a Cuisinart ice cream maker.  Ditto the time.  Adjust as needed for your own ice cream making machine.

Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream

  • 6 T Hersheys Special Dark cocoa powder
  • 2 1/4 c heavy cream
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 sugar
  • 4 oz unsweetened chocolate - chopped
  • 1 C whole milk
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 8 oreos coarse chopped


In a heavy sauce pan combine cocoa powder, heavy cream, salt and sugar.  Stir to combine over medium heat.  Slowly heat to boil.  Stir/whisk to prevent it from sticking to sides and bottom of pan.  Just as it comes to a boil it will foam.  Immediately turn off heat when it foams up.

Add chopped unsweetened chocolate.  Stir until melted into the ice cream base.  Stir in whole milk and vanilla.  Pour into large bowl, cover and chill several hours or over night.

Assemble ice cream maker per instructions.  Turn on machine and add the chilled  ice cream base.  Churn 25-30  minutes until it is the thick and nearly frozen.  Add chopped oreos and churn 1-2 minutes longer.  Serve immediately as a soft serve style, or scoop into a freezer container and freeze until firm.



No comments: