Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pasta fagioli, fazool or minestrone?

Maybe I should call it Italian Left Over soup.  Whatever you call it I am certain there is an Italian grandmother somewhere rolling in her grave by what I did or what I call it.

I started off raiding my fridge and pantry this cool damp L.A. day.  Found was a leftover porchetta that I needed to do something with and re-purposing made more sense than just reheating and serving it up that way.

I also had the tops of a bunch of beets I had the other day.  The beet greens actually make for very tasty greens sauteed on their own or in soup.  If you don't have beet greens, kale, collards, mustard or any other greens you have around would be a reasonable substitution.

I also used both dried and fresh basil in this recipe.  The former in the soup itself for the simmer and the latter as garnish torn and served on the individual servings.  Each bring a slightly different flavor to the party, I really like the fresh green flavor of the raw basil on top the soup.

Italian Style Left Over Soup

  • 1 1/2 lb roast pork/porchetta
  • 1 onion diced
  • 2 large carrots sliced
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 3 cans cannellini beans, drained
  • 1 t fresh ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1 t dried oregano
  • 1 t dried basil
  • 2 bay leaf
  • 1 32 oz can chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 c tiny macaroni noodles
  • 4 c beet greens coarse chopped
  • fresh basil
  • parmesan



In large stock pot over medium heat add a couple of tablespoons olive oil.  Add onion, carrots and garlic, cook until onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.  Cut pork roast to small dice, about 1/2 inch square.  Add pork to stock pot and stir in cooking a couple of minutes until it is warmed up.

Add undrained tomatoes, beans, oregano, dried basil, bay leaf, fresh ground black pepper and chicken stock.  Stir and taste for seasoning, adding salt if needed.  Simmer over low heat for an hour until flavors are combined.  Add macaroni and greens.  Simmer 10 minutes longer.

Serve hot with a couple of tablespoons fresh grated parmesan and a few basil leaves torn on top.

No comments: